Monday 6 April 2009

Saurama

Hi, I am still in Saurama and recovering well from the many days spent working hard in Rampur. So far today I have been eating very well and sorting out equipment for the next part of the project. Tomorrow we will be heading far West where we will be for the rest of the week. Possibly this may bring us alittle closer to completing this part of the vulture conservation work but due to road strikes etc (another one today!) the work may well continue for longer. I am therefore making arrangement to stay out here for a extra week to cover this. Can someone from my work (Tree Service Unit) tell Martin that unfortunately I may be delayed by a week and will not be back in work till Monday 27 th April (If there are any problems please contact me on my email stevelucocq@hotmail.com). Also today we took the opportunity to visit the Vulture Conservation and breeding centre in Kasara which is part of the Chitwan National Park. This is the first time I have visited this centre and will be the eventually place where the Vulture chicks from this year will live after there time in quarantine has been cleared. At the centre they are in the process of building an impressive large 100 foot long flight aviary for the birds to live in. Seeing the aviary made me feel proud to be apart of this project but a little sad that such action has to be taken to try to prevent the extinction of the Asian Vultures.

Also things had reached critical with my vulture work clothes and had to get them washed where we were currently staying. I did feel pretty bad when I saw the person from our lodge scrubbing my very very dirty sweat stained vulture guano in crusted clothes by hand. I think I will pay him at least double! Cheers Steve

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Steave, glad to hear all is going well. I'll try and remember to tell martin that you maybe back a little late. Dont worry we are keeping a few street trees for you - the ones with all the dove nests in!

    ReplyDelete