Thursday 16 April 2009

Back in Pokhara after ABC

Hi,


I am back in Pokhara after a couples of days in the high mountains. Things have been great and my part in the Vulture Conservation Work are almost at an end. Things could not have gone better with the project and the last four weeks have been a fantastic blurr. I have had a few free days so as I am in Pokhara I decided to get up high into the Annapurna Himal mountain range. I decided on tackling the Annapurna Sanctuary to then continue further onto Machhapuchhre Base Camp and then Annapurna Base Camp (ABC). I started of the trek in a little rush as short of time. As per usual and being a British Mountaineer I pack far to much kit and far too much food and water (little did I know that there would be Tea houses every half an hour on the lower part of the trek and every Hour higher up). I left Monday lunch time and started from Phedi (which when I looked at the map did not fancy as you gained plenty of height but then lose it soon after, i much preferred the over route from Naya Pul but everyone I spoke to said this was the way it was done). Anyway the first day went well and was good to be moving through the steep sided valleys through miles of rhododendrons. After a good started and it was the end of the day I booked into the Maya Lodge in Landrung with again very good Daal Bhaat for tea. Waking early great views of Annapurna South triggered a switch in me and I was soon trekking up the valley to cover a large amount of ground to arrive late in the day at the Himalaya Lodge (2,900 metres) Again Daal Baat and an early night. Waking at 5am and starting the day with a bowl of Muesli with Iodine treated water for breakfast was probably not the tastiest breakfast but was important fuel to take me up to Annapurna Base Camp. Leaving early in the morning was very special and the views of the mountains were breathtaking. After a few hours of trekking up the valley to break through the Sanctuary and onto the much worn snow covered path lead me to Annapurna Base Camp (4,130metres). I feel that no words or even pictures can give a true representation to the scale of these mountains. I spent and hour at the Base Camp and drank two big cups of milk tea starring at this unbelievable crown on mountains. I then trekked back over two days back Pokhara via the Naya Pul finish which would have been easier as you dont lose and gain plenty of height. I have covered much ground in the last few days so on reaching Pokhara I have just treated myself to a 3 course meal and may consider going back for seconds later on tonight. A well earned rest day tomorrow and let my feet recover! Cheers Steve

1 comment:

  1. amazing - typical though in your very direct rock athelete manner, wanting the direct line of ascent hope you got photos xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete